Monday, July 23, 2012

Short and Sweet

Today's ride was short and very sweet!! Jetta and I trotted up a dirt road near the cattle pens in our canyon. It's a long six miles to the top; we didn't go all the way up since I had company coming for lunch. We trotted half-way up and then took a cut-off road and trotted that one, too. This was a lot of hill work, but Jetta was not working all that hard. She's forward and strong and mostly quite relaxed. She marched all the way down  in an energetic walk.

I'm going to play around with shimming the Grandeur pad since her saddle seems to be sitting pretty low; there's not a lot of room for her withers. She did seem comfortable however, and I was as well. But the boot fit--though not perfect, is certainly working for us. I did take the breakover back just a bit, but that's the only adjustment I've made and we are four-for-four now. Four successful rides with no boot issues at all--no twisting, no failures, and no rubs at all. This is good!

Things are getting busy around here with wedding preparations, my hoof trimming business growing, my school job starting up again soon, and the county fair jumper show to organize and run in a couple of weeks. Whew! But keeping Jetta's fitness program going and growing is high on my list so that we'll be ready for 25 miles by October!

No comments:

Post a Comment