Thursday, July 12, 2012

Endurance Blog (and Other Stuff)

I know this blog is about Jetta's journey toward becoming an endurance athlete, and that of course will remain my focus. However, about six months ago (after trimming my own horses and only the occasional extra for the past seven years,) I finally went "pro-trimmer" and started taking regular clients. It's been a great learning experience and something I truly enjoy. But my newest case is the saddest thing I've seen in a long time. It's a good thing I don't know who this pony's original owner is or I'd be pushing for prosecution. Take a look at the photos below:
This is Cinnamon, a sweet soul who wants to live.
Front left hoof


Hinds





Cinnamon has recently been rescued from the severe abuse and neglect she has suffered. A veterinarian sawed 12" of over-grown "slipper-foot" off each of her hooves, and she spent a couple of weeks on bute. I have been working with her, offering oils and other plant extracts, which she has been reluctant to accept so far, although she did chose a couple of "emotional" oils the first time I was out. She is also having weekly visits from a massage therapist to address the atrophied muscles and all over braces. Cinnamon has begun to walk around (it was impossible for her to move at all for who knows how long!) and she can now lower her head to eat and drink. Her eyes are bright and she wants to live.

On Monday, I will begin her hoof care. Her hind feet are fixable, I'm not too worried about them at this point. Her fronts will be more difficult to manage. She has knuckled over at the fetlock joint and I don't know how much permanent damage there may be to the actual joint or ligaments. Her right front is bandaged to protect the sore spot created when the vet cut off the excess toe; I haven't seen the hoof yet. 

The new owner has asked for my help and I am willing to try. I have dealt with a few pathological deformities before, but nothing as bad as this. It's going to be challenging because Cinnamon can't support herself on three legs for trimming at the moment, so we are going to rig a support sling for her so that I can work on her hooves. Hopefully she will accept the grinder to make things quicker and easier on her. I will chronicle her progress in this blog along with all the endurance training for Jetta.

Speaking of Jetta, she has had the week off due to some medical stuff I was dealing with, but tomorrow she and Keno get to trail ride in the canyon. My son-in-law is going to ride Keno, and we'll be taking it slow since poor Keno's going to croak when he has to climb the mountain. Poor guy has been turned into an arena horse the last few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment