Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Booted Speed

I started the morning in the arena with Jetta doing lots of ground work--then under saddle suppling, serpentines, transitions, etc. She was good, quite soft and bendy at the walk and trot. The canter was not great, however. Pinned ears, braced body, tension everywhere. Hmmmm. It seems she is very anxious at the canter in the arena still. We worked on it for a while, then went back to more successful work before calling it good. (I've been riding her in the bitless bridle for a while now, but I still think I'll try the Kimberwick to see how she like it.)

I unsaddled, loaded her up and headed for Dog Valley to meet Tammy. We rode a six mile loop, 70% trotting, 5% cantering, and the rest walking. Jetta can really move out. Her big trot is huge! I've got to get out my GPS and clock this girl. She has lots of gears---an easy slow (slow for her!) trot, a great forward relaxed working trot, and then today for the first time I got a fabulous taste of her big extended trot. Holy cow. I could hardly post to that movement and finally just went to a two point and flew along the trail. Tammy's horse hand galloped alongside. She remained easy to rate, but her nose was up in the air more than I'd like. She never got too strong or pulling to go faster. We had a wonderful long canter up a low hill where Jetta actually stayed relatively relaxed and smooth. Her ears were twitching back and forth, and she was a little anxious about Chevy coming up behind us, but it was by far the best canter stretch we've had. We did several more shorter canters with good results so I'm thinking she just has a lot of residual race-track anxiety. She needs to canter lots and lots and just learn that it's not a race, nobody's going to whip her, or crowd her, or scare her.

The best part of the day, though, was the booting success! Just to feel the increase in Jetta's confidence is amazing. She moves out big and forward and unworried about her feet. She hasn't ever been particularly tender on the rocks, but now she isn't even thinking she needs to be so cautious. She has protection and she likes it. She had the EasyBoot Glove Wides with Power Straps on her front hooves and we had NO problems at all through the rocks, with the speed, or anything. WooHoo! I may put some bell boots over the gaiters because she does occasionally catch a the back of the boot with a hind, but it hasn't caused her to trip or anything. We are looking good for competition. I know it's early days yet, but we are most definitely on the right track. I need to order Epic 00's for her hind feet. I don't really want Epics, but according to the size chart, they are the only boots that might fit. (I'll remeasure before ordering in hopes that her hooves are changing!)

I was having WAY too much fun riding to worry about taking pictures, so maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment