Thursday, July 5, 2012

Schooling Day

This morning I got up extra early thinking I would head to the arena before it got too hot. But nooooo, today was a rainy day. I had forgotten what rain was and certainly didn't expect it after 8 weeks without a drop! I kept thinking it would stop soon. Nope. It rained softly for several hours--great for our fires!

I finally headed to the arena at 3:00 in the afternoon; it was sunny again, but not hot. I first rode Jetta in the Dr. Cook's bitless bridle and did lots of suppling, serpentines, backing, walking and trotting. We did some leg yielding, too. She was very good even though there was lots of activity around the arena. (Rodeo horses in the pens, and the skid loader cleaning stalls.) She was distracted a few times but stuck with me pretty well for the most part.

After half an hour's work, I switched her to the loose ring snaffle I originally used on her. Not so good. She walked around with her mouth gaping, leaning on the bit with her head cocked to the side. Hmmm. Backing up was definitely not good. Jetta was no longer forward and even seemed to get "stuck," loosing her rhythm because she was so preoccupied (or uncomfortable?) with the bit. After ten minutes I switched bits to a French link snaffle. Still no good--same kind of behavior--going around with her mouth open and neck very stiff. (I had her teeth done by the equine dentist in April, so her teeth are good I assume.) I just don't get it.

I finally put the bitless bridle back on her and off we went. More suppling exercises and large and small trot circles (with trot poles!) Jetta was back to being forward and "bendy" again. Not perfect, but much better without the bit. Sigh. I am certainly not opposed to riding bitless--I always ride Keno bitless because he is so good and doesn't need a bit even for jumping in competition. But I can't figure out why Jetta seems so uncomfortable with something in her mouth. For now I will continue schooling with the bitless, but will have the dentist check her again next time she's around.

Tomorrow I may be back in the arena. Or maybe out on trail. Or maybe both! Keno is feeling left out, so he needs some work, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment