Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ponderosa Loop

I spent last week in North Carolina and the birds decided my trailer was a great place for nesting! --A sure sign of not enough riding! I had a fabulous trip, though, so it was worth it.

But now I'm back and plan on riding Jetta every day and making some real progress. Monday I took her to the arena and worked on suppling and transitions. I found out our fairgrounds are closed for the week, though. Boo. This girl needs arena work in a big way. Yesterday my friend, Gail, and I went all the way around the Ponderosa Trail backwards from the way we normally ride the loop. It was Jetta's first time doing the whole loop. She was very good for the most part. She was gung-ho to go, though! She also spent a good deal of time fussing with the bit and trying to lean on it. I've got to get help with her! I want to make sure she is comfortable and find out what I can do to correct this behavior.
Pulling a face for the camera!

There are two big random boulders about halfway around the loop. We call these "Sam's Rocks" because Sam, a grey arab cross once jumped 30 feet sideways at the sight of them! Jetta was in the lead and her head came up and she tensed, ready to turn and run. I guess these rocks could look like a couple of giant white bears lying in the shade? Who knows, but Gail's horse didn't like them either, so we went back and forth on that section of trail several times until they were relaxed and less wary.

Jetta walked out really well and led or followed as asked. She's a fun, quick moving horse to ride, green but sensible. I am finally getting a lesson on her on Friday afternoon--trail riding that morning, then a lesson up at Zephyr Ranch before I trim three horses for clients. It'll be a busy day!
Sweat stained and ready to go home and hit the hay!

No comments:

Post a Comment